DON’T LET INSECTS AND DANGEROUS PLANTS RUIN YOUR ADVENTURE
Planning an exciting outdoor trip is a great bonding experience for the family? Whether you are going camping, hiking, stargazing, or mountain climbing, there are a myriad of things to organize and one thing that’s often forgotten is a remedy to deal with skin rashes that itch.
While the outdoors are great, it does come with some hazards such as bug bites and plant reactions that can result in discomfort that puts a damper on your day out.
A tube of Rhuli Gel can be conveniently slipped into your bag or first aid kit stored in your glove compartment and offers bug bite relief and sorts out rashes that feel itchy all over the body, allowing you to continue your adventures.
Nonetheless, to minimise the chances of you having to deal with itching, here are some plants and critters to look out for.
Poison Oak grows as a low shrub with furry green leaves. The leaves form a cluster of three, one in the middle and two on either side. Some varieties offer yellow-white berries.
The plant contains an oil known as urushiol. When it comes into contact with the skin, the oil will cause poison oak rash.
Poison sumac is related to Poison Oak but is less common. To identify this tall tree, look out for smooth-edged leaves that are connected by red stems. It may sound attractive, but you do not want to touch it.
Like poison ivy and poison oak, poison sumac also contains urushiol oil that triggers a reaction when it touches your skin. Exposure to this oil can cause a nasty rash followed by itching, swelling, blisters, or lumps.
Poison ivy grows in marshy and wooded areas, in wetlands, on beaches, and along the banks of streams. Because it is a pretty plant, people may be tempted to pick it, which is not a good idea!
Poison ivy is identified by a pattern of three shiny leaves, one in the center and one on either side. The plant can grow as a climbing vine or as a shrub with dull white berries; another thing to watch out for; children mistaking the berries are edible.
While the plant is called Poison Ivy, it does not contain fatal poison. The plant does however emit a sticky oil called urushiol that creates poison ivy rash with blisters that itch and burn.
Nettle, or Stinging nettle, does just that – it stings, and the feeling is not fun. You can identify this tall plant by its pointed leaves with coarsely toothed edges. The plant has tiny hairs on the underside of the leaves and on the stems. These hairs sting badly when they come into contact with skin. The affected area may turn red and develop a rash. Pain, irritation, and itchiness can follow.
If you or anyone of your party has accidentally come in contact with these plants, the first step is to rinse the affected area in clean water. This helps flush out the plant oils and hairs that cause the irritation.
Once that is done, apply a layer of Rhuli Gel to smooth the area. Our fast acting, non-drip formula is the perfect solution to provide relief.
If more severe symptoms occur, you will need to seek medical attention.